A friend recently connected me with local social media expert Toby Bloomberg. Toby is probably most well-known for her phenomenal marketing & social media blog called Diva Marketing which was listed by Forbes.com as a “Top 20 Best Marketing and Social Media Blogs by Women.” Toby now consults with companies, non-profits, and individuals regarding marketing and social media.
I met with Toby over coffee to discuss SM & marketing from a corporate perspective. It was super informal but I took a page of notes and thought some of you might find them interesting. Toby said I could share them with you guys…
- Find ways to take one piece of content and format it for many different channels (ie a blog post could be spun into a Youtube video, Facebook contest, etc.)
- Your social media goals and objectives should inform everything you do.
- “It’s not social media first; it’s goals first.”
- Your online presence is an asset. It must be promoted! “They will not come unless they know you’re there.”
- Ask customers what they want re social media.
- Blogging is still incredibly relevant. The value of blogging is that it’s YOURS.
- “You can’t really position yourself as a thought leader on Facebook/Twitter.” Blogging is much better.
- Email lists are still important.
- “Dell is currently the poster child for corporate social media use.”
- Relevant voices in the SM space: Shel Israel (Naked Conversations), BL Ochman (whatsblognext.com), Scott Monty (Ford Motor Company).
I also must recommend an unbelievable FREE resource that Toby has produced called Social Media Marketing GPS. It’s a free 91 page pdf composed of interviews with 40 thought leaders in the SM/marketing space. It’s jammed full of good content so be sure to check it out.